The instrument is also known as the “little trumpet" and the “licorice stick."
Did you know?
- It’s made of wood from the Mpingo or African blackwood tree, which takes a long time to grow and is dense enough to resonate well.
- It developed from a Renaissance instrument known as the “chalumeau"; an instrument similar to the clarinet was in use in Egypt as early as 3000 B.C.
- Mozart was the first major composer to add music written specifically for the clarinet.
- By 1800, most orchestras included clarinets.
- Celebrity clarinet players include Jimmy Kimmel, Julia Roberts, Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen and Alan Greenspan.
Come visit us and experience it for yourself!